Photography of the 'great outdoors' and of the people who relish in its grandeur - is something that I enjoy very much.
My regular blog articles are a mixture of philosophical ones, as well as articles that focus on Techniques/ Creative Ideas / Locations to Explore - I like to share my thoughts and if you have found an article to be useful or thought-provoking, then please do let me know
I am passionate about using photography to record the atmosphere and ambience of my subjects - be that the upland landscape of Dartmoor to photographing surfers, kayakers and climbers from an 'up close' aspect.
"He stood breathing, and the more he breathed the land in, the more he was filled up with all the details of the land. He was not empty. There was more than enough here to fill him. There would always be more than enough."
(Ray Bradbury, "Fahrenheit 451")
I also work part time as a Teacher & Tutor of Mathematics, Science and Physics. I enjoy personal photography in my spare time, often incorporated within my explorations, adventures and wanderings on the moors and the coast.
I am proud to be a member of the National Trust Photography Team. This includes assignments to photograph some of their coastal landscapes, events and campaigns. A selection of my photographs from assignments for the National Trust can be seen here
Phil is available at weekends, some weekdays and summer evenings, by request, to run bespoke Landscape Photography Workshops for Beginners and Improvers, in Dartmoor National Park and /or South Devon coastal areas.
Treat yourself or a friend or family member for their Birthday maybe?
Enjoy a day out in wonderful countryside... Learn new things and develop your Creative Vision
Trips further afield are possible to places such as the Cornish Coast, Dorset's Jurrasic Coast, The Mendip Hills, Blackdown Hills, Exmoor, Wye Valley or Gower Peninsula.
I am a qualified kayak instructor, expedition leader, rock climbing instructor and a qualified science teacher (holding a PGCE Teaching qualification) with a degree in Physics (with particular interests in geomorphology and astronomy).
Many thanks to the following companies for their sponsorhip of outstanding camera carrying products, which come highly recommended by Phil after repeated use over the last few years (you can read reviews that I have done of their innovative kit in my blog and at Ephotozine).
Awards & Achievements:
- 1st Place in the Depths of Perception Photography Competition
- 1st Place in the 'Living & Working in the AONB' category in the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Photo Competition 2013
- 1st Place in the Wild in the AONB' category in the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Photo Competition 2013
- Winner of Bangwallop Gallery's Photo of the Month Competition March 2013
- Winner of Dartmoor National Park Authority's 'Winning Landscapes' Photo Competition 2012
- Winner of 'Devon Hedges' Photo Competition 2011
- 3rd place in 'Water in Devon Life' competition 2011 - set by Totnes Image Bank
- Winner of the ‘Living the View’ category in the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty 50th Anniversary Photo Competition 2010
- Winner of the ‘Work, Rest & Play’ category in the Torbay Geopark ‘My Geopark’ Photo Competition 2010
- 1st place – Tamar Valley Tourism Association Photo Competition 2009
- 2nd place Green Energy UK Photo Competition 2009
- Shortlisted for Tanqueray/ Magnum Photos 'A Taste for Life' Competition 2009
- Shortlisted (final 10) for Spirit of the Southwest Photo Competition (judged by the doyen of English landscape photography, Charlie Waite)
- Work exhibitied as part of South Devon A.O.N.B. exhibition at Harbour House Gallery, Kingsbridge October 2013
- Art at the Abbey - joint exhibition organised by the Rotary Club of Ashburton & Buckfastleigh
at Buckfast Abbey 1st to 12th August 2013
- 'Moor to Sea' - solo exhibition at Birdwood House Gallery, Totnes 3rd to 8th Dec 2012
- Homeframe Galley, Unit 1, HQ Building, Union St, Plymouth - ongoing
- Bistro 67, Fore Street, Totnes - ongoing
- Explosures, 57a, Fore Street, Salcombe - May to end of June 2012
- Work exhibitied as part of South Devon A.O.N.B. exhibition at The Flavel Centre in Dartmouth in March 2011
Work exhibitied as part of South Devon A.O.N.B. exhibition at Harbour House Gallery, Kingsbridge August 2010
Work selected for 20th Century Plymouth Architecture in 2010
Totnes Image Bank as part of 'Water in Devon Life' exhibition - winter 2011/12
Newspapaer and Magazine features
- The Guardian - 'Presence of Mind' featured in the Weather section of their newspaper on 7th Feb 2014
- Western Morning News - 'Queen of the Universe', Queen's Meadow floods at sunset, was featured on 8th January 2014
- The Express - 'Aeon Flux' Wembury panorma featured in the Daily Express on May 26th 2013
- Devon Life magazine Jan 2013 - featured large scale image of my 'Emsworthy Barn' photo in article on the Dartmoor NPA Winning Landscapes photo competition.
- Wed Magazine (summer 2010) – featured some of my ‘high dynamic range’ photography for an article on UK Honeymoon locations.
- Lets be Wild - Photo of the Day ('Solaris')
- The Telegraph - 'Aeon Flux' was 'picture of the day' 23rd February 2012
- Plymouth Herald – ‘picture of the day’ on seven occasions.
- Canoe Focus – one winning entry, one highly commended and numerous other inclusions.
- 247 Magazine – street art photography featured.
- Reconnect Magazine - 8 features on photography and an article published about 'Green Lanes' along with further photos and 2 front cover photographs.
- Elle magazine (Italia) - photography featured in an article on Romany Caravans & Showman's Wagons.
- Totnes Times – feature on 3-D graffiti mural created for Totnes Kayaks.
- Rugby Advertiser – feature on graffiti mural created for Warwickshire County Council Outdoor Education
Canoe Section (Hillmorton Boathouse) whilst working for them as an Outdoor Education Instructor
- National Hedge Laying Society – front cover of Summer 2014 edition of magazine and short introduction inside