Workshops available on Dartmoor, in Rural Devon or the South DevonCoast.
'Aeon Flux'' - Wembury Point
It is my pleasure to teach Landscape & Nature Photography workshops, to encourage a thoughtful exploration of your surroundings in the beautiful coast, moors and countryside of Southwest England.
I am very passionate about these landscapes - the nature, the human interventions and relics; the form of the hills & tors; the sweep of the vales; the ruggedness of the cliffs & beaches; the multi-sensory experience of spending time in such grandeur.
I intend to give you confidence in your camera-craft skills to allow you to make expressive photographs, both on the course and in the future when you are in the great outdoors with your camera.
After the course you will recieve anexclusive PDF guide that you can refer back to, ideal to store on your smartphone or tablet as a 'field guide' when you are 'out & about'.
'Emsworthy Barn' -Dartmoor National Park
It gives me great pleasure to be able to inspire an expressive approach to landscape photography in my students and pass on the knowledge I have gained.
'Susurrus' - Mel Tor, Dartmoor
The camera is a tool and I can help you to learn how to be in control of it - rather than relying on it to 'best guess' in it's automatic settings.
I aim to help you use this tool to develop the way you can aim each time to make an expressive response to the landscape before you - to consider light, shadows, natural textures, form, framing and more - to help you make photographs you are proud of.
•An eight hour workshop costs £160 for 'one to one' tuition including transport between locations.
•Half Day workshops cost £80 to include 4 hours of tuition for 'one to one' and transport between locations.
** If you and a couple of friends wish to have a bespoke group workshop then I would be happy to arrange one.
One to One Workshop participant, David Matthews, fine tuning a composition of the River Yealm on Dartmoor
National Trust Ranger (Parke) Fred Hutt - studying flow-lines & rock formations on the Dart at Newbridge
An excellent way to develop your own skills or as a present for a partner, family member or friend and a great activity to do if you are down in the South West of England on holiday!
Workshops will be run in a variety of conditions from overcast (good for woodlands) with the occasional shower to sunny days.
Locations can be flexible to suit the conditions and I am happy to hear of particular places you would like to try and photograph.
I'm happy to run workshops in Cornwall, North Devon and the Blackdown Hills too.
** Bespoke workshop locations beyond a 20 miles radius of Totnes will have an increased cost due to my travel of 40p per mile .
* If the weather forecast is bad (e.g. persistent rain or drizzle) then I am happy to reschedule for another date if you wish...
Equipment you need to bring:
• a digital SLR camera/ or a Compact System Camera (CSC) / Bridge camera or 'High-End' compact (with Aperture & Time value controls)
• wide-angle lens / something like an 18-55mm (on cropped sensor digital SLR) would be fine and a telephoto lens if you have one... we can work with what you have, so don't worry
• zoom / telephoto lens (optional)
• polarizer (highly recommended)
• graduated neutral density filters (recommended)
• walking boats or comfy and sturdy wellies
• waterproof jacket + trousers + warm clothes (e.g. fleeces / thermal layers)
• food - snacks, a bottle of water and a packed lunch (for 'all day' and evening courses) - a pub lunch is optional (but not included in the price)
I have spare gear such as a tripod / filters you can borrow if you need to
To book a Creative Landscape Photography Workshop, please click on the link for the course duration you would like, below:
*** Phil is a qualified and experienced Outdoor Education Instructor for Rock Climbing / Expeditions / Kayaking and holds a current First Aid at Work Certificate. Phil also has a PGCE teaching qualification and a current DBS.
or best of all, please give me a call on 07484337119
Testimonials from previous workshop participants:
Had a fab day out with you and learned lots. Even though the weather was gloomy you showed me how to get the most out of what light IS available and just how much difference playing with the white balance can make. I would highly recommend a day out with Phil. Great company, and fantastic tuition at whatever level you are and I will definitely be booking another day later in the year."
"Just wanted to leave message for other keen photographers who read this page. I was lucky enough to book a day out with Phil on one of the courses he runs to help people get more out of their photography. Such an enjoyable day, I learned so much about how to frame and spot pictures that I never would have worked out myself. Phil was also able to demystify what I saw as complicated function on my SLR camera and help me understand and enjoy taking pictures so much more. I would recommend to anyone going on one of these days whatever level your photography is at. You will not be disappointed. Trying to book a day for my Mum with him as a birthday present. Thanks again Phil, can't wait till the next time I can enjoy another day like before. Cheers Aj"
"Thanks Phil, really enjoyed last night, great workshop. Need to go and practice now..."
Fred Hutt, National Trust Ranger at Parke, Devon
Dave Burgess using a hood as a modern twist on the 'dark cloth'
to help deal with the contrast whilst composing in bright sunlight
"Great session Phil, I really enjoyed it" Dave Burgess (2nd Mentoring Session - Heybrook Bay)
Steve Jupp composing photographs of the River Aune descending into Didsworthy Gorge
"Thanks for yesterday - I enjoyed it very much and learnt a lot." Steve Jupp (2nd Mentoring Session)
"Cheers Phil, many thanks for the day's tuition it was a wonderful fulfilling dayout and you are a very good teacher, hope to see you again on a coastal adventure in the new year. cheers"
Terms & Conditions
· A non-refundable deposit of the amount stated in each workshop is required at the time of booking.
· The balance of the workshop price is due 8 weeks prior to the departure date. Should this final payment fail to reach us by the date specified, we reserve the right to treat the booking as cancelled and retain the deposit. If a booking is made 8 weeks or less prior to the departure date then the full amount is payable at the time of booking.
· Any cancellation by the client must be made in writing, emails are acceptable. The date on which the letter or email is received by us will determine the cancellation charges applicable. These charges are expressed as a percentage of the total workshop price, and are as follows: 28 – 15 days before the workshop date 50%; 14 – 7 days before the workshop date 75%; 7 days or less before the workshop date 100%.
· Phil Hemsley reserves the right to alter or cancel any workshop. Should an alteration or cancellation become necessary, due to the tutor being unable to attend due to illness or other circumstances beyond our control, another workshops date will be offered for an alternative date.
· If the situation occurs for a Group Workshop in which the minimum number of bookings required to run a tour is not met, and if I have to cancel a tour for this reason, I will not do so less than 30 days prior to departure. Payments received can be transferred to an alternative Group Workshop date or be held in credit towards the cost of a 1 to 1 Workshop. Force majeure is unusual and describes unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, such as war or the threat of war, riots, terrorist activity, civil strife, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, flood or adverse weather conditions.
· Phil Hemsley reserves the right to change any of the prices, service or other particulars of a tour or workshop at any time before entering into a contract with you. If there is any change, he will notify you before we enter into such contract.
· To ensure fairness in the event of insolvency, all customers’ payments will be held in trust until the tour or workshop is completed.
· The type of landscape photography workshops that are offered require flexibility and must allow for alternatives. For this reason the outline itinerary workshop description must be taken as an indication of what may take place on the workshop, and not as a contractual obligation on the part of the company. Adjustments and alternatives may be considered due to the nature of the weather, floods, accessibility of locations, etc.
· Phil Hemsley accepts responsibility for acts and /or omissions of (whilst acting in the course of his employment). The Company does not accept responsibility or liability for death, bodily injury or illness caused to the client or any other person included on the booking, unless arising from the negligent act and/or omission of the Workshop Leader (whilst acting in the course of their employment). Any claims shall be subject to English law in respect of any question of liability or quantum, and all proceedings shall be within the exclusive domain of the English courts.
· The client must communicate any perceived failure in the performance of this contract on the spot to the workshop leader thus giving the workshop leader the opportunity to achieve a satisfactory solution. Should this not be possible, you should make your complaint known to us in writing within 28 days of the completion of the tour or workshop.
· It is a term of the contract between us that you will obtain the appropriate travel /personal injury and equipment insurance cover before you set out on the workshop (whether abroad or in this country). The insurance must cover the loss, expenses and damages arising from, including but not limited to, the cancellation of the workshop (whether in whole or in part), personal accident and injury, medical and repatriation costs (for overseas tours), loss of baggage; personal money and belongings.
· By nature of being involved in workshops being run in outdoor environments (such as upland moors and rugged coast), it is expected that the client has a reasonable level of fitness and agility. The client needs to ensure that they have appropriate clothing (to prevent exposure to extremes of temperature, and thus reduce the possibilities of hypothermia or hyperthermia) and appropriate footwear to protect their feet and prevent injury.
· By making a booking, you are agreeing to accept all the above conditions. Any person making a booking, does so on behalf of all the individuals included in it, so that all are bound by the booking conditions.