A Miller's Tale

10/09/2013 - 00:40

 

 

A burst of transient afternoon light bathes the stonework of Whissendine Windmill in Rutland.

 

 

“Be as a tower firmly set; Shakes not its top for any blast that blows.”

(Dante Alighieri - Italian author and poet 1265-1321)

 

 

 

Whissendine Windmill was originally built in 1809 by the Earls of Harborough who also owned Stapleford Park and the rest of the village.

 

Most of the machinery in this six storey Tower Mill dates from 1862-3.

 

 

 

 

The interior has a smutter, four mill stones, three flour dressers and a rare Wesmann roller mill.

 

 

 

In the 1860s it was sold on, and then a couple more times until it rested with the Kitchen family who owned it right through until damage from gale force winds forced the working mill to close in April 1922.

 

 

In 1995 Nigel Moon bought the windmill for £50,000, and set to the task of returning the building to its former greatness.

 

 

 

 

To bring the mill back to life the whole top of the structure had to be rebuilt and major gearing replaced.

 

 

Following restoration the mill is now worked by four patent sails.

 

 

 

 

The delightful mill once more  produces a range of organic flours for sale and is open to the public daily.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Add a Comment

Name:

Email (not displayed):

Message: